Monday, June 22, 2009

Cub Scout Day Camp

Today marks another 'first' for my little boy.

He's off to his first Cub Scout thing ever. We just signed him up to be a Scout at the end of the school year. He hasn't even been to a meeting yet. He's participating in a Day Camp where he'll be able to do all sorts of boyish things.

He was so excited this morning that he woke up at 6:00. He was so excited this morning that he was dressed in his uniform before I even got out of bed. He was so excited this morning that he had his shoes on and backpack ready 20 minutes before his ride was expected to arrive.

I'm excited for him. Actually, I think I'm more nervous.

I usually pride myself at how well we both adjust with separation. We've been doing it on a regular basis since he was very young. But, sometimes... it's hard to let go.

Cub Scouts is a big boy thing. He's going to learn how to shoot a bb gun this week. EEK! It's tough too that I've never been to the camp that he's going to. I can't even picture what he'll be doing. There's a lot of unknowns this morning. That's probably why it's tough.

I'm so thankful for Amy and her willingness to take him with a few other boys and excitement to have Michael involved. She was honestly thrilled to see him this morning and take him on this adventure.

A little side note...

I'm pretty uptight when it comes to guns. When Michael was born I really tried hard to not have any type of weapons in the house. I'm not really good at explaining myself, Jamie's better at that. But, I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of 'playing' violence. It seems like that could callous a person. I've heard all the arguments... and honestly, I'm easily persuaded so I can go either way.

So, yes, we do have toy weapons in our home and playing Star Wars and riding horses and shooting guns is a normal day in this house. I still cringe.

Because of all this, I talk to Michael quite a bit about violence and especially guns. Real guns. We haven't let him shoot a real gun. I sorta wanted to wait until he was like 12. I think Jamie said 8. My dad was ready to teach him when he was 4.

Michael noticed on the camp pamphlet that they were going to use the bb gun range. I can't tell you how many times he's asked me if it's ok*. I keep having to reassure him that in this situation it is ok. He's going to be trained by people who know what they're doing. It's a safe environment. Heck, if my husband or dad or father-in-law aren't going to teach him his first time, I think I'd like the Boy Scouts to show him!

Wow, this post turned out longer than I anticipated. I'll try to post pictures of his adventures. Oh wait. I'm not going to be there. Not sure if I'll get any of all these boyish firsts. *sniff*

*Yea! I think I instilled something into my son and he's understanding my authority and wanting to do the right thing! Thank you Lord!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

he is growing way to fast. He looks so big in his uniform
Mom

rhonda lorraine said...

Julie, reading your post made me think of so many things. The first time I went to church camp away from home (for an entire week! I was just nine and didn't know anyone, kids or adults, and mom and I both cried, but I had a blast); my uncle's stories about the boyscouts (he's been a leader forever, and they get to do awesome hikes and stuff if they stay in it); shooting my gun. :) I own one, and it's just for sport. It may make you nervous, but I think you're doing great just talking to Michael about proper uses for guns. Getting him to treat them with respect and know how to act around them is great!

And so I end my rambling comment...

Rhonda

P.S. Love that pic of him in his uniform!

active toddler said...

This was a very informative post - changed the way I think about a few things. Thanks.I wanted to know if you would be interested in exchanging blogroll links?

Julie said...

"Active Toddler" I've gone to your site and I can't find any contact info. I'd like to chat with you about a few things before I commit to exchanging links. Thanks!