This is my daily chore list. It's always changing. I'm always tweaking it. But, the system seems to work for me.
I have a list of things that I would like to accomplish everyday and I put it in a clear sleeve. I use a dry erase marker and check things off as I do them. I give myself the entire day to complete the list.
As my mother-in-law would say, I'm a lazy perfectionist. I love a clean house. I love a put together house. A home that looks well cared for. A home that is clutter free. A home that is well decorated.
Now, my home is far from being well decorated. Don't get me wrong, I've got a ton of great ideas in my head! I just don't have the time, motivation, and funds to do what I want to do.
And, just so you know, I don't have a clutter free home. Although, I strive for that every day.
So, here's my list. The things on it are things that I really want to accomplish every day. These are the things that make me feel good about myself. Make me feel like I'm taking care of my family and home. They are not listed in any particular order. Some of the items, like 'shower & get ready' are sort of silly. I won't forget to do that each day. But, you see, I also like lists. I like crossing things off of lists. So, I know I'll at least cross that one off.
And, you know, it's very very rare that I actually do every. single. thing. on this list all in one day. I can honestly tell you that that has never happened. It's just sort of a goal sheet for me.
Prayer & Bible Study - Serioulsy, if that wasn't on my list I would probably forget to do it.
Exercise - My goal is to do it about 4 times a week. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't.
Shower & Get Ready - I always remember to do this. I just like marking it off!
Dishes - We don't have a dish washer so it's important for me to stay on top of the dishes. My goal is to do them at least once a day.
Swish & Swipe - is actually a Fly Lady term. I really enjoy her website. If you're looking for a place to start with your cleaning, check her out. This is one thing that I pretty much do 5 days a week. It makes such a big difference in our home! I have a crock with water/cleaner in it that I leave my toilet bowl brush in. It just sits in the corner near my toilet. I've had it there for years and the kids know what it's used for and I've never had a problem with them getting into it. I have a bottle of water/vinegar mixture that I use to wipe down the mirror, counter, sink, and toilet. And that's all I do. Because I do that everyday, our counters are clutter free :)
Make Bed - I love going to bed into a bed that is made. It doesn't take long to do. And I feel that a bed that is made makes your whole room seem tidier.
Pick up Bedroom - We have a small bedroom stuffed with furniture so it gets messy fast. I like retreating to a clean room each night. So, this is mainly just picking up clothes.
Breakfast - I had a goal of eating a healthy breakfast every day. Well, I'm in the habit of doing that, so I don't really need to have it on my list anymore.
Laundry - Now, my goal is to wash, dry, fold, put away, one load of laundry every day. 6 days a week. I have good weeks. But, mainly I have horrible weeks where this doesn't happen. But, it makes doing laundry so much easier if I do it that way. It's not hard to take care of one basket full of clothes.
Dust/Vacuum Living Room - This is a room that everyone uses. It's so nice to have it picked up and cleaned in the evening when Jamie comes home from work. It makes wrestle time with the kids easier and games on the floor more enjoyable.
Kitchen Floor - I'm messy in the kitchen. And my kids are messy eaters. My goal is to sweep/vacuum the floor and then us my Swiffer on it. It takes a little bit more time, but it makes my junky kitchen floor look and feel so much better! I'm lucky if I do this once a week. But, I really want to get better at it!
You'll notice that most of my chores take 15 minutes or less to do.
2 comments:
Julie, this is such a great idea! I am a list maker, too, but I get out of the habit sometimes. I may just steal your idea w/the sleeve & the marker. I can get stuck on the computer and don't get things done, then I feel bad. I may even add more things that I'll be able to check off (check email, go pee! LOL.)
just catching up on blogs, and i think you're amazing to accomplish so much in a day! any mom who can manage to take a daily shower is an expert in my book!
Post a Comment