Friday, May 22, 2009

Clothing Goal

About a year, maybe a year and a half ago I made a decision that I wouldn't purchase brand new clothes for myself. Used ones were ok. Oh, and undergarments were ok to buy new. I'm not that crazy.

I decided to do this as a way of making myself more conscious of reduce/reuse/recycle. I liked the idea of not giving in to the American consumerism also.

How'd I do? Pretty well. As far as I can remember I only bought 1 shirt that was new. But, I bought a ton of stuff that was used. Sure, I get pretty much all my clothes at Salvation Army. I especially love hitting the sale 5 items for $5.

Now, other people made purchases for me. Birthday and Christmas gifts. And also a few gift cards that I may have used for clothes. That doesn't really count. (My goal. My rules.)

I'm thinking about trying a new challenge. I will not buy ANY clothing items for myself. Nothing new. Nothing used. For 1 year.

Again, undergarments are exempt from this. Also, I will except hand-me-downs that people give me and also gifts of newly purchased clothes and will even use gift cards to purchase clothes. (My goal. My rules.)

My hope is that I will pare down what I own. I don't have as many clothes as the 'normal' American, but I still have a lot! I'm also hoping that I will wear the things that I love. And maybe learn to mix and match things up a little differently.

So, I'll keep you posted on how it works out! It's already tough. The one pair of pants that I have that are perfect for fall and spring are fraying in the legs. Not a pretty sight on a 35 year old overweight mom. So, I'm already having to think creatively. And, I need a new white t-shirt. Hoping my mom grabs me one of those in the next few weeks. I have no problem cheating!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

This is an awesome goal, Julie! I totally think you can do this!!

Katie said...

Great goal... although I don't know who the 35 year old overweight mom is you're talking about! :)
Lovely (silly) lady...