Sunday, April 19, 2009

Season of Life

I've really been enjoying this season of life lately. Michael is 7 and in 2nd grade. Maggie is 4. They have been a lot of fun lately. They are out of the infant stage and the cute chubby toddler stages. I thought I would miss all that. But, I'm ok with it. Sure, I still love to hold a little baby and eat... I mean kiss... cute little chubby cheeks. But, my kids are so fun right now!

Maggie is totally into playing games. We play Sorry every. single. day. Seriously. We're not the kind of parents that let our kids win. Maggie knows that when she plays with us that there might be a chance that she'll lose. She's ok with that. I love playing games so we're a perfect match.

Michael is such an amazing thinker. It's so enjoyable to read with him. I like to have him read to me. And the stories he tells are so detailed and complex I have to ask him to retell a part just to make sure I understood it all.

They both love to eat. We never have those arguments about eating a meal before they get a treat. Well... sometimes we do. But there's never any tantrums or fights about it. Michael tells me all the time how much he loves the food that I make him. That makes me smile!

Maggie is so independent now. The last time she got new shoes we got her ones with velcro. So, now she can even put her own shoes on. She follows a check-off list in the morning to help assist her in getting ready for the day. She doesn't need or want help with it at all. Well, I do help her a bit with making her bed. But, I'm sure after a few days she'll get it down and make me stay out of her room.

They both are amazing sleepers too. I sooooo love that! I've never been able to do well on little sleep. The first 2 or 3 months when they were first born were so brutal for me! Waking up a few times a night. I couldn't think straight most days. They both love their rooms and love sleeping in their own beds. We trained them well!

I love tucking them in at night and snuggling them in their beds. For Michael is has really become a way for him to reconnect. I'll be honest with you, some nights I really don't want to do it. Once we read the Bible and pray together I'm all about coming down stairs and doing my own thing. But, when I stop and think unselfishly, and actually go back up and hang out with him.... it's such a joy. That's when Michael opens up and talks. He's not much of a snuggler, but I can usually get an 'I love you' and a forced kiss on the cheek from him. Love that.

So, yeah... I'm liking life right now. I didn't think I would like it when my kids left the baby and toddler stages, but.... I thinks it's good. Very good.

2 comments:

Martha said...

You're always telling me that you want to read 'my book' on how to raise children. You don't need a book, you're doing just fine and, if I was doing it again, I'd be asking you for pointers. I'm seriously proud of you!

Love you, Martha

Megin said...

yep, i'll ask you lots of questions when we have kids. man, their cousins will all be so much older than them. :(