Wednesday, March 04, 2009

You Gotta Love Lansing

It was a calm, yet balmy morning in the ghetto that day...

So, we don't live in the greatest neighborhood around Lansing. It's definitely not the worst. But, it sure has it's moments.

A friend of mine came to pick up Maggie for a few hours because I'm just not feeling the greatest. Could be the pop that I'm drinking in celebration of my 1 year. off of it. Who knows.

Anyhoo...

I'm putting Maggie in the car and my friend, Rachel asks 'Is that normal?'. I listen and hear a woman yelling and answer her 'Yes' and continue buckling Maggie in her seat. When I finished I noticed that woman that Rachel was talking about. It wasn't our normal crazy neighbor that yells. Nope. Someone different.

Where am I?
I'm late for my eye appointment!
Can you tell me where 11227 Gr. River is?
I'm so cold!
Where did the bus go?

So, I asked her what was wrong and she just repeated those words. Never looked at me. Just kept pacing up and down the sidewalk. I gave her my gloves. Sent Rachel on her way. Went into the house. Locked the door. Called 911. Looked up the eye doctor in the phone book. Realized that she was way off course. Relieved that I called 911 because I believe that officers are a good source of help. Not because I thought she was a menace to society. Put some hot water on the stove to make her some tea.

I went back outside to let her know that help was coming.

Here's the major God thing.

As I went outside I noticed 2 police cars that had stopped someone for speeding just down the road. Although, they were across the busy intersection. If you know where we live they were on Cleavland but on the other side of Oakland.

The woman asked me who was coming. I told her I called the police. She started her screaming up again. But even louder this time.

Why did you call the police?
Thy can't help me!
Would some one help me?
I'm late for my eye appointment!

She got mad at me for calling the police and started walking down our street. Towards the busy street. It didn't look like she was going to stop. She wasn't stopping. I, at first, grabbed her arm. Then I had her in a bear hug. We were inches from the cars whizzing down Oakland. I was clutching onto her and praying out loud 'God, give this woman peace. Let her body be still!'. I was waving for the officers and yelling for them to help.

The police cars were able to come to us. It felt like an eternity. Yet, I praise God they were there!

The woman began yelling.

This woman grabbed me!
This woman harassed me!
Get her off of me!

I tried to just keep my mouth shut. The officer put her in the backseat of his car immediately and just looked at me. I grabbed his arm and said 'I am so thankful to God that you are here!'. Apparently you're not suppose to touch an officer. He stepped back and stood at attention. That wasn't a big deal. I realized right away that they didn't know if I was out of sorts as well.

They had gotten the 911 call about the same time. One of the officers recognized me and called me by my first name. Probably due to the 911 call. And, he knew exactly which house I lived in. Told you this kind of stuff is somewhat normal.

Anyway. They got the woman safely into the car and hopefully to where she needed to go.

I'm all shook up. Yet, I am praising God that he was in control and that the officers were there when I needed them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa - I don't check the blog very often and stumble on it today to find a very intense post...

You're a rare person (unfortunately) who'll go out of her way to help instead of just walking on by.

-Scott

Lisa said...

Thank God you were there to help that woman, Julie!

Annie said...

I was just blog-hopping around adoption blogs, mainly, and caught the Lansing reference on yours. How fun! We live in Lansing, too....and ARE there any really nice neighborhoods in Lansing? We used to have the drop-in mental health clinic just round the corner from our house and that made things extra exciting.