Sunday, June 10, 2007

First Vacation

Our mini vacation to the UP was wonderful! The drive there went smoothly. The kids did so well in the car! We got there late and let the kids get their crazies out then put them to bed. Jamie and I stayed up late watching tv. We have cable up there so we get hooked into it pretty quick. HGTV was on pretty much non stop!

We got up early (not my choice but the cuties were excited to be there and woke up early). Jamie mowed the lawn for a few hours and I took the kids to the park and also to the Seney Historical Museum. We had never been there before. It was pretty interesting. I'm sure we'll go back again sometime.

Later, we all went to the Seney National Wildlife Refuge. Let me get out my trusty little pamphlet... *clears throat*...

Created by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1935, Seney National Wildlife Refuge was carved out of the Great Manistique Swamp by the Civilian Conservation Corps. In this wild place visitors encounter the cry of common loons, regal trumpeter swans, nesting bald eagles and playful river otters. This system now impounds over 7,000 acres of open water in 26 major pools.

Anyway, it's a pretty neat place to hike around. We took the kids on a 1.5 mile walk around some pools. Maggie walked just about the whole way. It was beautiful day out. Clear skies and a slight breeze that kept the bugs away (except the ticks, yuck!).

We also made a stop at the Cut River Bridge. I'm not very good at explaining things, but basically it's a skinny river that's between two pieces of land. The land elevation is very high and there is a 'cut' in it with a river. The highway goes over it and they've made a park near it. Well, it's quite the hike to get down to the bottom. There are 231 steps, one way, to get to the river. Maggie walked the whole way down! Michael pretty much ran down the whole thing. When we got to the bottom we went to Lake Michigan.

The temperature of the water was... freezing! Maggie didn't keep her feet in it very long. Michael, on the other hand, stripped down to his swim trunks and played! It was so beautiful out. Again, clear skies and a slight breeze. It was fun watching the kids play and explore.

That was our kick-off to summer vacation!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, it sure looks gorgeous up there. Glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures!! I'm glad you guys had fun. I think I've been to those stairs before when I was little. Sounds familiar. It looks like it was a pretty weekend!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had fun!!!! The last time we went to the U.P., we stopped to hike at the Cut River Bridge...we didn't make it all the way down because it was raining. But the boys loved being under the bridge. LOL. I like the pictures from the Wildlife Refuge.

jana said...

You all look like you were having so much fun! When I think of the UP I don't think of it like that! Too many comedy routines for me...never been there. Someday we hope to take the ENTIRE family up there, Matt's dad has property, but not sure where!

Anonymous said...

Let us know sometime when you guys are coming up. We would love to see you and introduce you to our son Adam. We are only about 1 to 1/2 hrs from Seney. We are practically neighbors in the UP

Julie said...

Lisa Nelson! Honestly, it took me awhile to figure out which Lisa you were! I forgot your married name :)

That would be so fun to meet up with you guys in the UP! How old is Adam now? Are you working or staying home? Tell me more!

Anonymous said...

Your photographs are well composed! Nice job!