Monday, July 03, 2006

Not So Bad

Yesterday I tried to post about my weekend but was unable to sort through my thoughts so I ended up deleting it. It had been a rough couple of days for me. I wasn't looking forward to today at all. Jamie and Tom left yesterday for the UP and will return sometime this evening. The idea of taking care of the kids didn't apeal to me at all. Also, my in-laws have been gone. I miss them. Not only for their help with the kids, but mostly for their friendship. I like them.

Anyway, God is good! I have been blessed with an abundant amount of patience and creativity and love for my children! Last night Michael and I just hung out together. We played everything and snacked on anything we could find. We stayed up together until 10:30.

Today, Michael has been having a lot of alone time. He's been playing up in his room for most of it and really enjoying himself. I've been catching up on some house work and chasing after Maggie. I'm hoping to get some adult interaction when Jamie and Tom return. I'll have Settlers set up just in case :)

I focused on helping Michael right when he asked for it. Instead of saying that I'm busy with something else and I'd help in a minute, I would stop what I was doing and help him right away. Or, if he asked for some juice or a snack I get it for him. Now, I know that that aproach can backfire on me and I could end up with a self centered child. But, seeing how he's already that way, it seemed to mend our relationship. Today, I'm back at saying 'just a minute' and he's fine with that. I think he just needed my undived attention for a long period of time to know that I like him the best. Aren't we all like that?

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I know exactly how you feel, Julie!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing mom and dad for a few days! It was fun visiting with them (and whipping them in Settlers..hah!)

Julie said...

I knew you would, Lisa!

I'll admit Megin, it was tough sharing m & d. I'm glad that you guys were able to spend so much time together alone. I know it's tough to have the one on one time that we all need when we're all together.

Anonymous said...

Since this post is a few days old, no one will probably read this. But I just want to set the record straight- Meg and I each won 6 games of Settlers (out of the whopping total of 16 for the weekend), so the only one she whipped was Dad! (Aren't we pathetic Settlers addicts!)

Anonymous said...

And hey Jules- I love you too! I'm so glad you guys live across the street so we can check in with each other every day. Not to mention share food and ideas and pray.

Julie said...

Great job Megin and Mom on all the Settler wins!

It is truly a blessing living close to family. I had no idea what to expect when we first moved accross the street from my in-laws. I really love it!