Saturday, June 28, 2008

A First for Everything

Tomorrow Michael goes to camp for the first time. It's about an hour away. Two nights and three days. With kids his age. No one that we know, yet. We do know the dean. That's comforting to me :)

I'm excited for him. But worried too! All the normal mom stuff. Will he take a shower? Will he remember to brush his teeth and change his underwear? Will he make friends? Will he have fun? Will he fall in the lake and drown?

I know he'll have fun. I've been blessed with one of those rare kids who loves trying new things. He'll go into a room of strangers and not think anything different. He's not scared to ask for help. He's not scared to talk to adults. He's pretty out spoken and out going. I keep comparing it to Vacation Bible School. With sleeping added in.

I'm also excited for him to go because I think I'm going to surprise him by re-doing his bedroom. See, his room is another room of our house that just hasn't ever been finished. His walls are half painted waiting for a chair rail to go up. Well, I've changed my mind about the chair rail and I'm just going to paint the walls cream.

I found an awesome metal framed head and footboard bed painted red at a garage sale a few weeks ago. I paid $5 for it. I was going to repaint it, but I think I'll keep it. Apparently Michael loves red. Awhile back I bought him a comforter set that has stars and planets on it. I'm going to shoot for a Star Wars theme... on the cheap side. With just a few red accents like the bed and drawer pulls.

I'm hoping to pick up a cheap Star Wars poster and frame that for him. And maybe buy some cheap light sabors to hang on his wall. Other than that, that's all I'm doing. The painting will be the only labor that I'll have to do. Oh, and all the moving of furniture that goes along with that.

So, even though the living room isn't completely done being decorated I'm moving on to the next room. But, I promise I'll finish the living room!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I'd be worried too! That's just how moms are. :)

I hope Michael has a great time! Sounds like you'll be having fun with his room! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

i wish i didn't have to work i would be up there in a minute to paint. Or i would be sitting at camp outside his room just in case he need s anything and to make sure of Grandma stuff. I know he will have a great time he is just so little it seems. We just need to be rocking in his old bedroom. He is growing up way to fast.
Love
mom

Sonja said...

Oh my...yeah, that makes my stomach hurt thinking about camp. LOL. He'll have so much fun. You just might have a few gray hairs from worry though. ;)

That's sweet that you're going to surprise him with a new room! Very cool.