We don't have cable at our house. We've used an antenna for our tv for as long as I can remember. It's an ok set up. We get our local PBS station in very well and a few other channels in pretty good. Probably a total of 4/5 stations. I like to limit the amount of tv watching for the kids and without a lot of channel options it's quite easy.
Well, life has changed around here! We got that little black box thingy the other day. We've been watching so much tv lately!
We can now get through our antenna 4 PBS stations, all the major networks, and then a few extra's. The kids love Qubo. They show kid friendly cartoons non stop. One of our local networks has a station that shows the weather 24/7. One of the PBS stations is Create and they air all the more crafty type shows. And... it's a crystal clear picture!
So, if you see us and our eyes are all glazed over and we've gained another 10 lbs. you'll know why!
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Glad to see you back! What is the black box?? Cable?
Thanks :)
No, it's not cable at all. I'm so bad at explaining things so you may have to ask a better person...
Basically the normal air waves/signals are analog right now. That's what you pick up on your antenna. Sometime (I think within a year) all of the signals will change over to digital.
The cool thing is that many of the stations have already changed over to digital.
If you have cable, it is automatically 'converted' and you don't have to do anything now or ever.
If you own a new tv, like the flat panel kind, you don't have to worry.
The black box thingy is a converter for the older tv's. It takes the digital signal and converts it to work on your tv.
So, since a lot of the stations have already converted over to digital and we own the black box we now can get in the old analog stations plus those who are digital already.
Oh, and you don't have to pay anything! Wait, the black box did have a cost to it. But, the government had $40 coupons available towards the purchase of the box.
You probably want to look it up online for more info because if I know you at all, I'm pretty positive you would need one for your tv if you want it to work later on!
You're right--our TV is definitely not new. ;) We bought is used from Curt and Chalice Baker...what, 6 or 7 years ago? Right now we have cable through our rental house, but we definitely won't be paying for it when we move, so I'm thinking we need one of those little black boxes!
I left an explanation for the house after your comment on my blog!
Here is the coupon link:
https://www.dtv2009.gov/
We don't have cable either here. We bought two of them, but only have one hooked up right now. We live out in the country, so we basically were able to get a cbs and CW station and a local weather station with ours. I havent tried the box on the bedroom TV yet(the tv we get the best reception with anyway) to see if we get more there. We watch so much online anymore, I really wonder how much we will really use it in the coming years.
ME
PS, glad you're back again.
Something we (when I say 'we' I really mean my super smart hubby) found out that the signal travels through the UHF antenna. Give that a try.
My son has been playing with it some today and picked up another station. ME
Post a Comment