Tuesday, January 15, 2008

#10 Recycling

Well, my board box recycling isn't going quite as well as I had hoped. I started saving all of our boxes. I went to the recycling center this week and read the sign on the dumpster very carefully. I didn't want to make a mistake :) It specifically said that they can not recycle boxes that can be refrigerated. Apparently they are sealed with a special coating = chemical that can not be recycled. Boxes like pop can boxes, yogurt boxes, or healthy choice frozen meals. Poop! That was half of my load.

So, now before I buy something I'm actually paying attention to how it's packaged to see how much of it is recyclable. Duh... it all comes down to convenience foods. Fresh food has the least amount of wasted materials. Fruits and veggies.

That'll be a huge challenge for next year, not this time around.

But, I am starting to rethink my pop addiction. Yes, I know I have a problem. Well, I don't call it a problem. I like it and that's that. But, I think I may come up with a better plan that is safer for my body and the environment. More on that later.

7 comments:

Karen said...

i'm reading an awesome book right now, called "animal, vegetable, miracle" by barbara kingsolver. it's about how her family started eating more local and what that first year looked like. it's very challenging and inspiring in a lot of ways.

if you think about soda like this it's way less appealing: basically it's some artificial flavors (aka chemicals) and high fructose corn syrup. i'm not even sure how they MAKE high fructose corn syrup, but i'm pretty sure i don't want to know. it's bad for us, and we should stay as far away from it as possible. like we need more corn in our system. so yeah, more chemicals. oh! and there's some carbonated water. mmmm.... carbonated chemicals... :D

Sarah Halter said...

I wasn't planning to say this, but I thought of it after reading Karen's comment. Back when soda was made with sugar, the average 12 oz can had 8 teaspoons of sugar in it. That's a ton of sugar. The amount of corn syrup is typically equivalent, but it's not measured in the same way.

My main comment, though, is that I think it's wonderful that you're becoming more aware of how things are packaged and trying to pick things that are more recycleable. You're right though, that more whole, fresh foods are definitely less wasteful.

I'm also glad you read the sign because not everybody actually does!

I'll email you about the boxboard, so I don't leave too insanely long a commment. Love you!

Julie said...

High fructose corn syrup isn't in the pop that I drink... sorry ladies :) Which means you'd have a hay day with the chemicals and stuff that is in the kind that I consume!

I grabbed a can from the fridge just to make sure. I wasn't planning on drinking it. Somehow I opened it up though. Man, it's going to be a tough habit for me to break!

There could be worse habits though.

Karen said...

what kind do you normally drink? ohhhhhh... diet soda! well, diet coke was my soda drink of choice when i did drink it (which has never been all that much), so i know what yummy chemicals you're talking about. i don't know, i think everything in moderation is a good rule to live by... and being aware of what you are putting in your body is good too. i agree with sarah that it's wonderful that you're becoming more aware of stuff. this is been quite a journey of change for me as well, and i still have a long way to go. :)

Julie said...

The recycling and cost is really what hit me this time around about pop.

Courtney said...

Seriously, you can save a ton of money by ditching the pop. Plus, it keeps your kids healthier! If they see you guys drink it, they'll want to start drinking it even sooner. Soon you'll have kids like in Mark's classroom (6th grade!!) who were eating a candy bar and Mountain Dew for breakfast every morning. Yuck!!

Julie said...

Courtney, I totally agree that I'm probably the biggest example of healthy and non-healthy eating that my kids will follow! I think overall we do a good job at balancing and practicing moderation. The biggest thing we want to instill in them is that food can be fun and enjoyable, just don't let it control you. We talk about self control a lot around here!

There is no way in poop land that my kids would have pop and candy for breakfast! I'm totally generalizing the situation, but that kids parents probably work and he has to fend for himself in the morning.

Since I stay at home with my children I make breakfast for them. Nothing fancy mind you... but definitely a better choice than empty calories.