Friday, January 04, 2008

Goals for 2008

All right, here's my list of goals for 2008. Like most people, I struggle with the term 'resolutions'. That makes it sound like I have to change something radical about myself in a one years time. That's way too stressful for me. I like to call them goals or even refer to them as challenges.

My main focus is changing little habits in myself that I can carry over to my family. Changes that make this world a better place. I also have listed things that I just want to get done. So, here's my list. In no particular order.

1. Minimize children's books. We have too many. I'll keep the old favorites and even ones that were gifts. We have so many that only a few get looked at. It's just a messy thing to me.

2. Take both kids to the public library once a week. Because of the de-cluttering of children's books I want to keep them interested in new ones.

3. Go out with my husband once a month. Right now we're on this quarterly schedule. Not by choice really. Just because neither of us makes the effort. I'm not really complaining about it. I see Jamie a lot during the week. Our evenings are usually spent alone. But, it would be nice to just get out of the house more often together.

4. Pray before reacting with the kids. This is one of my biggies. This will require more than just making a few phone calls. I find that I yell easily. I want to change that.

5. Bring down the weekly grocery bill. Not sure how much. But, I want to take my time with meal planning and find new recipes that are less expensive.

6. Dress more feminine. I still need to figure out what that means for me. Dresses? Skirts? Florals? Colors? I need to find a style and then shop accordingly.

7. Paint/Re-do the downstairs bathroom. Remember it's that awful bright mint green color? It has to go!

8. New dishes. Our everyday dishes are getting pretty chipped. They'll be 12 years old this year. I'm going to figure out what I want and take my time shopping accordingly.

9. Clear out my 'collection' of plastic storage containers. Figure out how to use/store less of them. They tend to take over my cupboards. If I have cupboards filled with plastic containers that are not being used, I have too many. Time to de-clutter!

10. Recycle cereal boxes and the like. I'm already half way there! I found a drop off site nearby that will take them. All I need to do is get a system in place for getting them ready to go and then actually taking them.

There, that's the list. Hopefully it will inspire you to set a few goals this year too!

2 comments:

Sarah Halter said...

You go girl!!! If you don't have any place in mind to take the extra children's books, I'm sure Mark and Courtney could use them. If not, we're also trying to add some children's books to our collection (at the moment we have 3!) for when we have kids over and knowing we'll have kids of our own sometime in the not so distant future.

Courtney said...

Great goals, Julie! If you're getting rid of them, send the books to Sarah. :) We've got quite the collection since we've been collecting for about 8 years. Oh, and I've found the extra plastic storage containers to be useful for organizing my bathroom, art supplies, spices in the cupboard, etc. I usually just use the bottom part and don't need the lid, but it depends on what I use it for.
For the discipline, check out Raising Godly Tomoatoes (www.raisinggodlytomatoes.com). I really like their discipline beliefs and we are using their methods to the extent possible (without the boys knowing English) and it's working really well. HTH! :)