Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Advent... according to us

Me: While looking through the Christmas edition Lego catalog... Jamie, look at this cool Advent calendar. Can we buy it for Michael?

Jamie: Is Jesus there?

Me: Uh, no. But look at all the cute Lego pieces is has. Michael would love to open them all up.

Jamie: It's not an Advent calendar.

Me: Yes it is! It's numbered 1-25

That is when my curiosity of Advent began. I spent a lot of time on the internet learning about the season. After reading a lot of info, talking it over with a friend, and reading some more, I think I finally grasped it. And I decided to participate in it with my family. Mainly for the kids. Michael has always been a sponge and I thought it would be a great thing to focus on each night before Christmas just sort of came and went.

The reason for Advent is to remember Jesus the Christ. To remember his first coming into the world and also to prepare for his return. It's not a countdown to Christmas day. Which, it sort of is. But it's so much more than that. It's preparing our hearts. It's hearing the story of Jesus. Not only the birth, but his death and resurrection. The story of his birth is very significant, but there is so much more to Jesus that I wanted to share with my kids during this time.

For now we're just reading one verse and repeating it each night. We've had some small discussions so far. I wanted to keep the reading/listening part short. I wanted the repetition of it too so that they would grow to understand the words. There are actual scriptures that are recommended for reading during this time, but they were too long for the kids. Maybe in a few years. We'll work up to that.

So, beginning last Sunday we began Advent. It was very much Charlie Brown-ish. But, it was special! I had four votive holders (only two actually had candles in them) in a circle and one in the middle with a white candle. Nothing else. Very simple. We lit the first candle representing hope and read Psalm 25:4-5. Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

We eat dinner by the light of that single candle, no other lights. Until next Sunday when we light the next candle representing peace. I Thessalonians 5:23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The next week we'll light the candle of Joy. Psalm 71:23 My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you - I whom you have redeemed.

The last Sunday before Christmas we'll light the candle of love. Ephesians 5:1-2 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

And on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we will light the candle representing Jesus Christ. John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I'm thinking about adding another verse to read before we light the candles each night. John 8:12 talks about Jesus being the light. I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life. Maybe we could read it after we're done eating each night. To sort of close our our time together. We'll see. I just found that verse and I want to include it.

There you have it. That's our plan. So far it's been a good experience. I'd encourage you all to do something like that each day to prepare and remember the significance of Jesus. Jesus will change your life.

No comments: