Sunday, November 04, 2007

Pumpkin Pie

Maggie's had a cold for a few days. I thought it would be a good idea to keep her home from church this morning. She's just messy when she's sick.

So, I'm sitting here eating pumpkin pie* while Maggie is propped up on the couch with her halloween candy watching tv (I gave in this morning and let her dig in early this morning).

I have this theory (thanks to my sister-in-law Beth) about halloween candy. I've been letting the kids have a free for all everyday after they eat lunch. They get out their bowls of candy and each however much they want. Then, after awhile they sort of slow down on their own and I put it back up in the cupboard. Some nights I've let them have one piece extra after dinner.

It's been working great! You see, in the past when we've had candy in the house it's a constant battle. They always ask for it. Constantly. Then I allow them a few pieces after lunch and it's never enough. They keep begging and begging. Constantly. And, since I would only give them a couple at a time, this would go on for weeks!

Maggie's funny to watch. She still isn't quite sure of what she likes just by looking at it. She opens one up, takes a bite, and usually throws it away. She'll find a favorite about about five tries. It's great!

At the rate they're going, they should be through their bowls by the end of the week!

*Yes, I actually made a pumpkin pie yesterday. For some reason I had a craving for it. I never cared for that kind of pie in the past, but with the cooler temps lately it sounded warm and homey. I even made real whipped cream. This no computer game thing is working!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I have no clue how to make a pumpkin pie, or any pie for that matter. I just buy them at the store. Pumpkin pie sounds really good right now!

junglemama said...

Craving pumpkin pie comes with this time of the year.

Hope Maggie feels better. :)

Jamie said...

You forgot to mention that the kids have parents that are helping them whittle down their candy supply when they're not looking.