Thursday, August 30, 2007

Happy Birthday, Michael

Today is Michael's 6th birthday. It's really hard for me to grasp that today. He's been around for six years. I've been a mom for six years. I've had the privilege to mother him for six years. It's hard to remember him being a baby or a toddler. He seems to have always been energetic.

I remember the day of his birth quite vividly. I won't bore you with the details. I'll just tell you that for me it was somewhat quick and extremely painful and by far one of the most amazing days of my life. Sharing that with Jamie was such a blessing. God really knew how to teach us about unconditional love through the birth of children.

I love Michael like crazy. He is the smartest 6 year old I know. He reads amazingly well for his age. I can't even tell you how old he was when he started, it's been that long. Math is also a strength of his. Today, while making cookies for his birthday, we were talking about multiplication. We were putting the cookies on the pan and talking about three rows of four. Then he proceeded to tell me the other 'factors' of twelve. The only one he missed was 1. Thank you Cyber Chase!

He is a great prayer warrior. He will pray about anything and everything. If you ask him to pray for something, he will. And almost always with a sincere heart.

He is a great singer. He catches onto songs quickly and he's not afraid to sing along. He's not too good in the dancing department, but he's got great rhythm. He'd make a great drummer some day... 'not till your 12 son'.

He is amazing at lego's. Again, I can't remember when he really started following the directions and making these crazy things. I always loved them growing up so we probably started him out quite young. I think it really blossomed when he turned 5 last year and he had a lego themed birthday party and he was given 20 different new lego sets.

He is kind to others. This may be hard to notice at first glance because of all the hitting and kicking and wrestling he likes to do. But, if you listen to him on the baseball field or soccer field, all you hear are encouraging words.

I love my boy Michael. Thank you Lord for the good gift of being his mom.

3 comments:

Sonja said...

Happy Birthday, Michael! :) Julie, you and Jim have done an amazing job. :D

Anonymous said...

Michael is an amazing kid!! It's exciting to think of how many people he'll reach and all of the different things he'll do in his lifetime! But of course, it is bittersweet that he's growing up so quick. I definitely remember when he was a baby. I was afraid that you wouldn't ever let me touch him after I slid down the stairs holding him. Despite that, he is turning out great! You guys are doing a great job and God has picked out the perfect parents for both Michael and Maggie.

Julie said...

Aw, you guys are making me cry :)

Michael rode his bike today for the first time without training wheels. He did it as if he'd been doing it for years. He's getting old too quickly!