We survived the walk-a-thon! It was so much fun! Tiring, but really fun. As was predicted, the weather was fabulous! warm, sunny, slightly breezy. It was pretty chilly in the evening and during the night, but not too bad with layers on.
This was my favorite chunk of the weekend. First, they had all of the cancer survivors that were present and their caregivers walk a lap around the track while the other participants stood at their camps and clapped as they passed by. Always emotional. There wasn't as many there this year as in years before. Usually there is a child or two and that always gets me crying.
Then, as it's getting dark, we line the entire track with paper bags that we've decorated in honor of someone who is/has fighting cancer or in remembrance of a loved one who has passed away due to cancer. They all have candles in them and they light them all. On the bleachers they have bags lined up to spell out the word 'hope'.
Then, a representative from each team read off the names of those who the bags were for. I wasn't 'planning' on doing this. Due to other circumstances, I was the only team member there at the time so I sort of had to do it. It was really quiet as the names were being read. No one was crying, even me. I was almost the last one to take my turn. I knew that I had an important job to do and I was focused on the task at hand.
Until I came to Karen's name. I lost it. I don't know if I forgot that her name would be on my list or what. But, when I saw her name come up next, I struggled to read it. When I was done with my list, the woman next to just hugged me and let me cry on her shoulder. We didn't know each other. I still don't know her. But, she understood.
It was a great weekend! The kids were awesome! Jamie and I enjoyed being together as a family. Maggie danced (like the entire time!). Michael told a 'dirty' joke during the talent show (I'll have to post on that later). I'm still un-bathed and in need of some real food. But, I'm so glad that I was able to be a part of the Relay for Life and help support the American Cancer Society. I'm already looking forward to next year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
:)
thanks, julie.
Julie, I read your other post yesterday (and tried to comment but my computer wouldn't let me), and I just want to say that I'm sorry. You're such a nice, lovely person and I'm sorry you felt the way you did.
I'm sending you a hug.
Thanks Lisa :) You probably couldn't comment on it because I was deleting it.
I decided to delete that post because I think I came across as being really upset. I think I was at the time, but I'm ok now. I was nice to write it out and complain.
That's sweet. I'm glad the walk went well. I am curious to hear Michael's joke!!
he... he... It took me awhile to figure out who you were, Randy :) You're very welcome. You guys should check out a walk in your area. They do some pretty neat things.
ack! that was me signed in as randy. sorry!
For real!? I was so excited that it was him. Just as happy that it was you :)
nah, he doesn't blog. ever. once and awhile he'll read mine, but that's it. :D
Post a Comment