Wednesday, June 20, 2007

In honor of a friend

My friend, Karen, is fighting cancer. It seems weird to say that. Maybe because it seems like a small kind. But, it's cancer none the less. A few months ago she noticed a lump in her neck. She joked that it was a goiter for awhile and then had it checked out. They did an autopsy and discovered that she had cancerous cells on her thyroid.

She just had her entire thyroid removed and they found papillary carcinoma on it. So, we're all relieved that they removed it all. The next few weeks have been focused on healing from the operation and preparing for a type of chemo.

Karen and I were friends in jr. and high school years ago. We haven't seen each other since then. But, we still have things in common. She is faithful in her walk with the Lord, she's married, has a son and a daughter, and is a good friend to those around her.

This weekend Jamie, the kids, and I are participating in a 24 hour walk-a-thon hosted by the American Cancer Society called Relay for Life. Jamie has been a team leader for a church for a few years. The kids and I try to go every year. It usually depends on the weather and such. This year we are all planning on going and sleeping in tents and walking!

I'm dedicating my walk to Karen. Her experience has really hit me hard. We have similar lives. I could be going through the same thing. She's been such a trooper through it all. Her family has been a huge support and those around her are a constant reminder of God's grace and faithfulness.

If you'd like to support me financially this weekend you can make a donation through the link on the right under Relay for Life (sorry I'm not good at putting the links in my posts). Also, you can pray! For fair weather, patience with the kids, and a good nights rest :)

1 comment:

Karen said...

i know i said this already, but this means a lot to me. thanks, julie. :)