Monday, May 07, 2007

WOW '07

A few weekends ago I had the privilege to attend our church's womens retreat "Women's Outdoor Weekend". It was so much fun! I did things that I never did before or even thought I could!

I hiked, climbed a rock wall, and did a few challenges on a suspended ropes course.

My goal for the rock wall was to get two feet off the ground. I think I climbed a total of 30 feet.
My goal for the ropes course was to just make it up the ladder. I made it up and completed 3 challenges and was the first to come down on the 'swing'.



Here's me 'hiking' with Kris who power walks 5 miles a day, Sheila who runs every morning, and Shannon who kick boxes. I kept up with them pretty well!






Here's me on one of the high rope course challenges. My harness is connected at my waist then attached to a cable above me (the red straps). I'm walking on a cable while holding onto two slackish ropes. I look so graceful don't ya think?




The big finale! This was the 'swing'. Basically they hook your harness onto this thing. I screamed... then I laughed... than I cried and laughed. It was so great! To go from one end of the arc to the other took about 10 seconds. It was a nice slow swing. Others told me that they could hear me scream while they were on the lake boating.


Overall, it was by far the best retreat that I've been on. I can't wait until next year!

5 comments:

jana said...

It is a wonderful experience on those ropes right?! I teach these ropes course type stuff over the summer to our leadership camps! People are so fun to watch!

Hope you all had an amazing weekend!

Karen said...

where was the retreat at?

Julie said...

"Wonderful experience"... um, I'm glad I did it. It was actually quite stressful for me. I was known as the girl who cried. I couldn't help it.

It was at Center Lake Bible Camp in Tustin, MI (near Caddilac).

By the way, Karen, the women at our church who headed it up used go work at Spring Hill. That's were she met her husband.

Anonymous said...

Now you're ready to re-attempt Stone Mtn. :)

Julie said...

Oh, yes! You're are so right! I bet I could make it to the top like I did when I was younger :)

Jamie and I need to talk with you and Josh soon and figure out a date to come and visit.