Friday, September 15, 2006

The Teacher Called

Michael's teacher called today. Apparently he punched three children in his class. He was given a warning and two time outs. The next thing was a phone call home. The teacher said that the children weren't crying... that's good. And, he did say that he was sorry... that's good. But, he just didn't sound like it was a big deal when I talked to him on the phone.

So, now I'm trying to think of a memorable punishment for when he comes home. Another time out just doesn't seem like enough. If I make him go to his room he'll play and have a good time. If I take away his legos he'll just pester me to play with him all weekend. We were planning on going to Toys R Us to spend his birthday money, I think I'll take that away from him. Make him wait another week.

Any other good sugestions?

5 comments:

ejs said...

What if you had him make apology cards for the kids? And he had to think of his own words (even though you wrote them) to express his "sorry-ness"?

That's not really a punishment, but it would instigate more conversation on the matter and it might help him learn the humility that needs to come with repentance.

ejs said...

Or, you could beat the living daylights out of him...

You know I'm totally joking, right?

Anonymous said...

You have that new bracelet going around, right? The WWSD (What Would Supernanny Do)?

I am trying to remember any episode where the parent said, "If I take away his legos he'll just pester me to play with him all weekend." And I am just trying to think of how Supernanny would respond... "Shucks, luv, you mean he might pester you? Well for goodness sakes, don't punish the child in any fashion that might actually cause him to pester you, especially if it is something he really fancies like Legos."

Julie said...

Girl, you're funny! I love the idea of notes, do you think Jamie would go for that one? Probably not :)

Frank, I can picture your face saying that. It made me laugh!

Jamie said...

Actually, when you have tried the "take away the legos" approach, he has so many other toys that he forgets them for the time he doesn't have them. So it's not that effective.

Which is why I prefer other methods...