Thursday, August 24, 2006

Doctor Appointment

Well, Michael had his big check up yesterday. I'm so thankful that Jamie was able to take time off from work and go with him. I'm such a wuss when it comes to my kids getting shots and stuff.

The appointment wasn't what any of us expected. Let me back up and give you a little bit of background... On Tuesday I noticed that Michael had a little rash on his chest and one cheek. We decided that it was because of a new shirt that he had worn the day before (I hadn't washed it yet).

The doctor takes one look at it and says that it's 'slapped cheek disease' aka 'fifth disease'. Basically, it's a virus. He was contagious for 10-14 days prior to the rash. So, no shots for him. But, he did have to have blood drawn. I guess it's something the doctor likes to do at this age to check some things out.

The doctor had Michael do a bunch of little tests to make sure he's developing normally. Write his name, name colors, draw a person, etc... Then, she asked him if he could jump, he did. She asked him if he could skip and he replied, a bit sarcastically, "No!". We're so proud! No skipping boys in our family!

I'll have to take him in again in a week or so for his shots. Should be a breeze for him after all the other stuff he had to do.

3 comments:

Katie said...

It was soo good to have lunch with you!! We should do that more often. :)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of slapped cheek disease in my life! So, are you and Jamie susceptible to it? Is he feeling okay? When is his first day of school?

Julie said...

It's very uncommon for adults to get it, although it is possible. Beth actually had it just after Alissa was born. Not fun. She was hurting, like arthritis, for about a month!

He starts school on Sept 6 (I think). Whatever day is a Wed.