Friday, March 02, 2007

And to think that I saw it on Saginaw St.

I saw an car accident today... saw it happen... right in front of me. It was very strange.

The weather on the drive to and from school with the kids wasn't pleasant. The roads were layered with ice and snow. You couldn't tell what was what. I picked up our extra riders no problem. Even got them to school early. All without any incident.

On the way home, about one block from our house, I saw it. An suv pulled out and couldn't quite make the turn and just slid across all four lanes (one way street). The other drivers and I were going about 5 mph and just sort of watch it slide. I thought it would just go up the sidewalk and hit a pole. But, a car actually couldn't avoid it and crunched into it.

It wasn't what people would label as bad accident. It was just strange to see it happen. It really was in slow motion. The crunch of the hit was loud. It almost seemed fake.

Needless to say, we turned onto our side street to head home. No Wal*Mart trip for us today.

(Because I know someone will ask... And to think that I saw it on Mulberry St. is a children's book about a boy who daydreams about all the things he saw on the way home from school. Trying to impress his dad when he's asked what he saw that day. It's always been a sort of inside joke in our family growing up)

No comments: