Every day when I pick up Michael from school the first thing he talks about are his time outs or warnings in school. He's really been struggling with the issue of self control. Shouting, talking, hitting, throwing, on and on.
So, we started praying about it. He asks God every night to make him better and to do right and to give him more self control at school.
Monday he didn't get any warnings or time outs. Tuesday he just got one warning. But, today he got an instant time out. He was really upset about it. I, on the other hand, was actually glad for the chance to have a great discussion about "progress not perfection" and God's constant love.
Me - "Michael, I'm proud of you! You have had a great week at school!"
Michael - "Thanks" (somewhat mumbled)
Me - "Ya know, God loves you no matter where you're at. He looks at your progress. How well you've been doing. He always forgives. I'm learning the same thing right now. I'm trying to exercise and eat good foods. I'm not perfect everyday, but God loves me everyone of those days."
Michael - "I think you're perfect."
Me - i didn't think I heard him right...
Michael - "I like it when you exercise. You do it a lot. And you always eat food. I think you're perfect!"
Me - actually crying.
Michael - "You're still proud of me?"
Me - "Yea... "
Michael - "Can we get McDonalds for lunch?"
Our conversation didn't go in the direction that I had hoped in the beginning... it was better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That's just precious!
Awwwwah, that is soooo cute! I just love what kids say sometimes! No matter how much we don't like ourselves, they love us anyway! Just like God does!
How sweet!!! You'll have to write that one down!
Or type it...
Oh! How I laughed at this. How absolutely perfect is that story!!! Ironic, tender, SPLENDID!!! Thanks so much for sharing it.
Hey hey.. there's no need to be sarcastic! :) I MEANT write it down in like a scrapbook or something that he can read later.
I hope you bought him McDonalds. . .
Of course I did! I can never turn him down in those situations.
Post a Comment