Well, here it goes. I'll try to catch you all up to speed.
The Hearts at Home conference was great! It wasn't at all what I was expecting. There were about 1700 ladies in attendance. ALL MOMS! Normally I don't like all women's things because of the emotional roller coaster that happens when women are together. But this was so specific and I could relate to every part of it, I really enjoyed it.
Friday night was a moms night out. We sang a few worship songs together. Saw a silly skit. And heard Sara Groves in concert. She's very mellow and writes beautiful songs. I enjoyed it a lot.
Saturday was filled with workshops and speakers. These are the ones that I took and a few points that stuck out to me.
"Healthy Kitchen-Healthy Families" with Cindy Yergler. Picture a plate and divide it into quarters. One quarter is your bread/starch. One quarter is your protein. And the other two quarters are fruits and vegetables. This will help you eat a balanced meal.
"She's Gonna Blow!" with Julie Barnhill. This was by far my favorite! I felt like I had a lot in common with her. Her name, stories about her son, and much more! I took this workshop in hopes to gain a few pointers on how to control my temper with Michael. And how I can 'fix' things between us. Not the case! God used Julie to change my heart. The point is to make me more like Jesus and that others can see Jesus when they see me. It's so simple.
"Kids Boot Camp" with Leslie Wilson. This was by far my least favorite. The speaker talked without taking a breath. She was too fast and had way to much scattered information. I don't think I walked away with anything except it's never too early to teach your kids how to do the laundry.
"Home Fires: Keep the Sparks of Passion in Your Marriage" with... yup, Leslie Wilson again. She talked slower during this workshop so I was able to pay attention better. She told of a story where she listened to a panel of men answer a few questions. One of the questions was "When you come home from work, what is the most important thing to you?". Some examples that were given (but not an answer from any of the men) were, a clean house, dinner ready, some alone time.... Every single one of the men said that they would like their wife to be in a good mood. Wow! That hit me! And, I'm sure Jamie appreciates it, I've actually been working on that.
The afternoon session was with Julie Barnhill. I enjoyed hearing more from here. She talked about bringing humor into your home. She mentioned when her son was five, he stared telling his own silly jokes. Michael just started doing the same thing! She suggested getting a few joke books to help him out. Jamie checked out a few for him and it's been really funny to hear him laugh.
From the looks of my post, it seems like I didn't have a good time or get much out of it. I really did! I think God has been working on my heart for a few months now and that weekend it all just came together for me. I feel changed. I feel new. I love my children and my husband and I'm excited about my renewed relationship with Christ.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Man, I hate long posts! Feel free to skim it or just skip it all together! I won't be offended if no one comments on it. That's why I'm leaving a comment... so there's at least one :)
A: Just because you have an aversion to long posts does not mean everyone does. Not everything need be fluff or be able to be covered in one paragraph.
B: Some of the most profound things leave people speechless or needing to mull things over, continuing to think. Do not assume that because no one commented, no one read or that no one was interested.
C: This is your life, your space to share. Don't be defensive. We're here because we are interested in you. You don't need to apologize for what you share, especially not over and over again.
You are loved. Remember that.
I'm so glad you had a good time! Usually there's so much at those conferences it's hard to take ANYTHING away! :) Sounds like you got a lot out of it and had a great time to boot! :) :)
I had a blast, too! I just hope we can go next year now that they moved it to Grand Rapids. Maybe if we start saving now we can afford it by then! By the way, I love reading all the details. That's why I check yours and Jamie's sites every day!
Sometimes we just need a little kick start and it sounds like that's what you got! I am glad that you enjoyed it! I love to read what you and your family is up to so it doesn't mean anything to me on how long it is, I like it! Keep sharing, people care!
Post a Comment